performed at the exhibition:
'All Places Shall Be Hell That is Not Heaven'
Preparation and serving of canapés with video projection 25 min. duration
Cutting knife, cutting board, butter knife, fork, bowl, blender, serving tray
Soil on kitchen balcony, packaging
Ingredients sourced on Deptford High Street:
- Red Onions from Holland (Hackney wholesale market, origin unknown)
- Lemons from Murcia, Spain (Scorpyus Fruits S.A)
- Avocados from Peru (Incavo)
- Tomatoes from Maasdijk, Holland (Harvest House)
- Water Biscuits from Asda, containing fortified wheat flour (wheat flour, calcium carbonate, iron, niacin (B3), thiamin (B1)), palm oil, glucose syrup, raising agent (sodium carbonate) and salt
- Philadelphia made with pasteurised milk, containing full fat soft cheese, salt, stabiliser (locust bean gum) and acid (citric acid)
- Smoked Salmon from Tesco, produced in UK and farmed in Norway.
To prepare canapés for the opening event, various ingredients were sourced from Deptford High Street. Each ingredient is tracked down through interviews with sellers and online research, on where, how and by who they were sourced. An amalgamation of documentary footage, home made clips, adverts and screen recordings are synchronised with the ingredients being prepared live on a kitchen counter and served to the audience during the performance.
"No one point of connection was enough. I wanted to get closer to the hand that nurtured it, gave it life, helped it grow. I wanted to know how they killed the predators, the pests, how they fertilised its ground, its body. We had been contaminated, and yet the suffering came from elsewhere, long before we even noticed."